P4 BLOG 21.9.18
We had great fun learning a new story writing strategy. We picked out the important words for the story, we practised putting them into sentences and then told/ re-told the sentences in order and then we added in little actions to represent the important words in the sentences and then we drew the actions onto the story plan and again told/re-told the story before going off to write.
The actions and little cartoon drawings really helped those who sometimes struggle to have ideas and/or those who struggle to get started or need help to keep things in the right order.
We played fast and furious games of indoor hockey using a rubber puck. We had to work out the correct position of our hands on the hockey stick and be mindful not to use it like a golf club!
The ‘Parking Lot’
Each week, the children ‘park’ ideas on post-it notes onto our emotional literacy wall. We then have a circle time where we share ideas about how to improve our learning experiences. This week the minutes included items about: fundraising for a trip to the beach, being able to change tables on a Friday and sit beside someone new, voting in table captains by putting names in a hat to stop arguments, having a story writing half day where all the activities are about writing, bringing in bikes/scooters and challenging ourselves to see how far we can ride around the playground over a certain amount of time and putting some fruit into our Dojo’s prize box. All of these were voted in as things we can organise.
Thank you to… and celebrations:
1. Happy Birthday to James
2. Well done to Charley, Aidan P., Jan, Layla, Felix, Aryan and Mason who did very well in their times tables’ test and will move on to the next times table. The children know that they have to score 9 or 10 out of 10 for two weeks running before they move on to learning the next times table.
3. Well done to Imaad, Aryan, James, Kaii, Mason, Chloe, Malak, Kaya, Layla, Kayla, Alex, Tom, Aidan P., Felix and Steven who got a good score in their spelling test or managed to beat last week’s score
4. Star Writer awards went to Jan, Steven, Felix, Imaad, Kayla, Chloe and Layla. Your child should be able to tell you what they did in order to win their writing award.
5. Well done to Mason and Tyler S. for winning this week’s T-party certificate. They won for showing a huge improvement in story writing; starting at the right time and working independently throughout.
6. Well done to Layla who was our class Dojo points’ winner by one point. It was a close contest!
Reminders and up and coming news
Can all children please have a set of indoor shoes and a full P.E. kit.
No homework has been issued this week. New homework will be issued on Tuesday the 25th. Part of this homework will ask the children to design/re-design a swimming pool or Inverness Leisure Pool. If you are able, it would be good if you could take your child swimming at some point between now and the beginning of October, with a view to thinking about what they would like to change or improve about the swimming pool and its facilities.